Friday, January 11, 2013

Olivia Act


If you are not an educator or work in the school system, you have probably once thought….what a job? What do you do all day? Holidays off? Summer breaks? Wish I had a job like you. Well, these words have been darted my way many times.

Yet, as educators, we know that there is so much more to our day than teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. We are the first person these students see each morning. For some, we are the safe place. Others we are the beacon of light, laughter, peace, or hope. For many students, school is where breakfast and lunch are the meals for the day. Running copies and planning a lesson are the norm. It is when we get the chance to teach a life lesson that makes our job extraordinary. We love even when we think it is not possible. We trudge through the challenges and welcome the chance to break status quo.  We even juggle all of the paperwork and standardized tests required for each student. And we do it gracefully with a smile on our face, no matter how pointless it may seem. We teach manners when there are none. We raise the standard in our students’ lives or challenge the present one. We work hard and long hours, shortchanging our own families at times to grade papers, plan for the next day, or plan the holiday party coming up. We give an extra needed hug. We stand in the rain holding a crosswalk sign so our students will safely cross the street. We rise early in the morning fighting wind, rain, and snow to make sure the lights are on in the building and children make it school on time. We cheer on our students and give them a familiar face in the crowd as they race towards the academic finish line. We find any string of hope or ability in a child and make it the avenue where we can tap into their mind and their heart. These men and women rarely make national headlines. These men and women are the people that I have the honor of working alongside each day.

Administrators, teachers, librarians, counselors, cafeteria workers, custodians, and bus drivers

Our principal quickly reminded us after that tragic day, “It doesn’t state anywhere in your contract that you are to sacrifice your life for your students. Yet, dare I say….I know any one of you would.”

The events that took place in Newton, CT. Hit home in two VERY distinct ways in my life. I am a 2nd grade teacher. As I listened and followed, I read and heard stories of many valiant educators that sacrificed their lives for their students. I asked myself, Why am I here?

As the days went on, and information about the families and even letters and stories arose, I questioned myself as a photographer. Would my work stand the test of time? Am I reaching all of the possible families and clients that are within my community? Not so much as a paying client but as a client that would be thankful to have the memories when the day came that someone was called away from this earth and their lives. I look forward to my appointments and shoots. I share a special bond and a true honor to be able to capture life moments for my clients. However, I also remember what it was like when I didn’t even think about capturing my family, life, and moments. I also remember when life called out so loudly that a family photo shoot was a luxury not a necessity.

I am here to join in with fellow photographers and offer a free family session. The Olivia Act, named after one of the children killed in Newtown, was started by Leslie Spurlock Photography. Olivia’s family had family
pictures taken a short time before she was killed on that horrible day.

Upon hearing about this, Leslie was moved to give away a 30-minute family
photoshoot and has challenged other photographers to do the same. I know
that not all families have the resources to have photos taken every year, but I’d love 2013 to be the year for one of them.

While I have not been actively advertising my Photography business, nor have I been updating my website on a regular basis.(school has been my top priority and will continue to be for a while) I would like to participate and give a Family Portrait Session and some prints to a family in West Texas and the surrounding area.

I will be taking nominations for a West Texas family who you think would appreciate this gift of memories. The session will take place sometime in the month of February. Email me your nominations to chiaroperfecto@yahoo.com including a brief message on who you’re nominating and the reason you’d love for them to receive this. I will
contact the nominator and the family chosen via email, so please include that as well! I'll be taking the nominations until January 20th.

Please SHARE this status so your friends and family will know too! Can’t wait to gift a family with these memories that can’t be replaced or taken away!

And fellow photographers, please think about participating in the Olivia act too. You can "Like" the Olivia Act page on Facebook...

-Veronica 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Chiaro Perfecto